HLPs #8 and #22: Provide Positive and Constructive Feedback to Guide Students’ Learning and Behavior
This video introduces and defines high-leverage practices (HLPs) 8 and 22 and provides the rationale for this practice appearing twice on the list of HLPs. The video also features four teachers demonstrating examples of the four key components of this HLP. These four key components are that effective feedback is goal directed, constructive, immediate, and respectful/positive.
While permission to use this video is not necessary, the citation should be: Kennedy, M. J., Peeples, K. N., Romig, J. E., Mathews, H. M., & Rodgers, W. J. (2018). High-leverage practices #8 & #22: Provide positive and constructive feedback to guide students’ learning and behavior. https://highleveragepractices.org/hlps-8-and-22-provide-positive-and-co….
How the videos are designed:
- Introduction and definition of each HLP
- Brief review of the research
- Several brief videos of general education and special education teachers implementing the practice
What the videos are:
- A resource to augment training/professional learning
- A demonstration of HLP practice across degrees of intensity
- A portrayal of teachers’ implementation of an HLP
- A demonstration of practices that can be used with all students, not only those with disabilities
What the videos are not:
- A complete resource for training/professional learning
- A demonstration of each tier across various settings
- A depiction of all features of quality instruction/student engagement
- Promoting the use of practices that would replace the need for intense, data-driven decisions and interventions provided by special educators or other specialists
This content was produced under U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, Award No. H3254120003 & S283B120021-12A . David Guardino serves as the project officer. The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of the U.S. Department of Education. No official endorsement by the U.S. Department of Education of any project, commodity, service, or enterprise mentioned in this website is intended or should be inferred.